Sunday, August 11, 2013

Food for Thought

Here are some tips and ideas to try with some of the foods I found at my local grocery stores.

 I do a lot of food shopping at Wegmans and discovered these Finishing Butters in the dairy case, they also have other flavors.   I use them all the time for sauces, vegetables, meats, sauteing, basting and toasted breads.  They are full of flavor, have a multitude of uses, and are reasonably priced.  I keep them in the freezer and only thaw what I need.

This  marinade is fantastic, that's all I can say.  Marinate your meat in this and put it on the grill.  The meat will caramelize and the flavor is out of this world, crazy good!
I am a crazy foodie, I can't help myself.  When I'm out I look and read EVERYTHING.  It's a weakness I have, but I always find good stuff.  I bought these meringue cookies that are so tasty, light and crunchy, you can't eat just one.  Look at the amount you can have - 13  for 110 calories - amazing! And, they come is a lot of flavors.  So, if lemon is not your thing (I don't know how it can't be, just saying), try one of the other flavors out there, strawberry, chocolate, vanilla.....
 My quick and easy version of S'Mores - 1 bag of marshmallows, 1 package of fudge stripe cookies.  I have been making them like this for years since my kids were little, instead of using the old fashion method, which was too messy for little hands.   It was easier for them to make and eat them this way.  Their hands are bigger now and they still like them with the cookies and marshmallows.  You can use any kind of cookie, coconut, lemon, oatmeal, gingersnap, chocolate chip - it's all good.
 Raspberry Lemon Iced Tea
In a 2 1/2 quart pitcher of cold water add 4 Bigelow raspberry tea bags, 10 regular tea bags.  Let sit covered for 6 - 8 hours.  Remove tea bags and add 1 cup of sugar (more if you like sweeter) and the juice of 1 lemon. Stir and pour over a glass full of ice. So refreshing!  I always have lemons and limes on hand, they are great for marinades and salad dressings or just look pretty in a bowl. 
This stuff is awesome! Vanilla Bean Paste can be used with vanilla extract or in place of extract (use the same amount) or use half paste and half extract. It is syrupy with a lot of vanilla beans in it.  I use it both ways when a recipe calls for vanilla.  It gives everything a richer, in your face, taste of vanilla.
 Two marinades/sauces I found while in the food store  - Teriyaki Sauce and Thai Peanut Ginger Sauce.  I used the teriyaki on pork and chicken.  Then I made Chicken Satay with the Peanut Ginger Sauce. Marinate your meats in the sauces then baste as they are cooking on the grill. Can you say fabulous?
Cut up a fresh pinapple, toss with brown sugar and grill it.  It caramelizes on the grill, so sweet and juicy.  Remember those blackberries I said I was going to have with pure cream and sugar?  Well here they are, and they were delicious!  Ummmm..... brings back a childhood memory, and those are always good.







0 comments:

Post a Comment