Sunday, January 12, 2014

Go For The Orange Instead Of The White

I started getting into sweet potatoes, since one of the restaurants I like serves them baked with a side of cinnamon and sugar.  Not really healthy for you, but umm umm umm so good!  Now that I am eating healthier I picked up some of those babies at the grocery store.  I went for the orange instead of the white.  You can jazz up sweet potatoes so many ways, just use your imagination, and some spices and herbs, for a delicious side dish.

Sprayed my baking sheet with cooking spray. Washed, peeled and cut my potatoes, seasoned with kosher salt and cracked black pepper.  Drizzle with 2 teaspoons of olive oil, toss the potatoes and spread evenly on the sheet.
TIP:  I use a potato peeler when peeling sweet potatoes, rather than a paring knife.  They are heavy, because they are more fiberous and drier than a white potato.  I find it's easier and faster to skin them this way.  And, I always cut them flat side down so the knife doesn't slip.  Keep your fingers away from the blade!
 Pull off some fresh thyme leaves and  sprinkle over the potatoes, then lay a few extra sprigs on top.  Roast in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.  Then it's under the broiler for a few minutes until brown and crispy.
 This is my healthy dinner - 2 oz sliced flank steak with steak sauce, 1 cup roasted sweet potatoes, 1- 2 oz roll toasted no butter, and a big garden salad made with spring mix, cucumber, tomatoes, mushrooms, celery, carrots and radishes tossed with light salad dressing.  The whole dinner was great, everyone ate what was on their plate, and no leftovers. Amazing, everyone is getting healthy and they don't even know it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment