Friday, January 24, 2014

Recycle and Reuse - Make A Pretty Wreath

I have a lot of these old piano music books that my husband held on to, he took piano lessons when he was a kid.  They are a little worn and yellowed and perfect for arts and crafts.  Since Christmas is over and now there is no wreath on the door, I decided to make one.  While cleaning out the basement with my nephew the other day (a huge task), I found an old ratty grapevine wreath tucked away on a shelf.  Instead of throwing it away, I dusted it off and recycled it.  I tore all the old stuff off of it and brought it back to life.  I used a roll of burlap for a simple bow, and folded the music sheets to make a rosette. I then placed a metal flower with a rhinestone center in the middle of the rosette, and rolled some music sheets up as accents.  I sprayed the paper with polyurethane, to help it withstand the snow we are getting, as it hangs on the outside of the front door.

Cleaned up grapevine wreath, roll of burlap (Michael's), floral wire, scissors and wire cutters. Don't use your scissors to cut wire it will ruin them!
 Simple burlap bow.  You will also need tape, and a glue gun.  To make the rolls - Rip the music sheets into quarters and roll on an angle from the corner, hot glue or tape it to hold it.  I made four but make as many as you like, let the inner creativness come out!
Rolled up sheet music.  Forming the rosette -Fold the paper (2 quarters) accordion style to form two sides and tape or hot glue them together.
 Two sides folded and then taped together.
 Wire on the bow.  Hot glue the metal flower in the center of the rosette, and glue onto the bow, place the rolled music behind the bow and glue.  It's a simple style wreath with a rustic flair and can be hung anywhere in your home.



0 comments:

Post a Comment