Thursday, January 9, 2014

Scallops in White Wine Butter Sauce with Lemon Orzo

We are big fans of scallops in this house, and I try to find new ways of making them.  I use them alone in sauces for pasta or I add shrimp to the sauces.  I like them sauteed with butter and garlic, baked with cheese or breaded and fried.  My gears were turning in the kitchen, when I took this bag of them out of the freezer that I bought at BJ's Wholesale.  I wanted to do something different with them, something I knew everyone would eat.  I experimented by using some white wine, everybody loves wine, right?  And butter, that's always a given, we all love that.  I had some fresh thyme, a shallot, garlic and lemon.  I always have these ingredients in the house, you know in case I get crazy ideas like this one.  Well, I put all this together on the counter, was looking at it, and started throwing things into the pan........ and it was fabulous!  I do have to get two bags of scallops the next time I make this dish, they were all looking for seconds.  Recipe below.

My ingredients, I used a Pinot Grigio as my wine to flavor the sauce.
 Sauteed the shallot and garlic in olive oil and butter.  Zested my lemon.
 Washed and dried my scallops and seasoned with salt and pepper.
 Sauteed them in the pan with shallot, garlic, butter and olive oil.  Added the thyme at the end of cooking.
 Boiled up my orzo and drained it, then added butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and cracked black pepper, it was really smooth and creamy. 
 Served with a mixed green salad, and a glass of the Pinot Grigio, delicious!

Scallops in White Wine Sauce

Ingredients
3 lbs fresh or frozen scallops, I used Berkley & Jensen Raw Sea Scallops from BJ's Wholesale
salt and pepper
4 Tbsp butter, divided (2T and 2T)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup Pinot Grigio, or any other dry white wine
juice of 1/2 lemon
3 - 4 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed and chopped

Directions
Wash the scallops in a colander and drain.  Lay them out on a few layers of paper towels and then cover them with a layer of paper towels.  This is to absorb any remaining water on them.  Over medium - high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with the olive oil in a shallow frying pan.  Add the shallot and garlic and cook until tender, but do not burn them.  Remove from pan to a small bowl.  Season the scallops with salt and pepper and add to the pan, searing until all are browned.  Turn heat off (you are cooking with alcohol you have to be careful when there is a flame involved!), add the shallot/garlic back into the pan, the wine, remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, lemon juice and thyme, stir.  Return to medium heat, Cook for 5 -7 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate.  Serves 4.

Lemon Orzo
Ingredients
4 cups of water
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups of orzo pasta
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
3 Tbsp of butter
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Directions
In a medium saucepan add the water and the salt.  Bring to a boil, add the orzo and stir.  Cook until your desired doneness.  Drain in fine mesh strainer.  Pour back into the pan and add the zest, lemon juice, butter and cracked black pepper, stir until butter is melted  Transfer to a bowl.  Serves 4.










0 comments:

Post a Comment