Wednesday, January 8, 2014

How I Frost My Cakes

I made this cake for the birthday dinner, I usually make them from scratch but didn't have time with all the sauce making and meatball rolling for dinner.  I jazzed the mix up a bit with some espresso powder to enhance the chocolate flavor.  I followed the directions on the box for mixing the cake and added about 1 tablespoon of the espresso powder to the mix.  I baked it per the directions on the box, let it cool and made my Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosting to frost it with.  This is how I frost my cakes, it always leaves the cake plate nice and clean.

Cake mix and espresso powder that I use.  Cakes cooling.
Dust off any loose crumbs on the cake, you don't want them in the frosting!
I put a dollop of frosting in the center of the cake plate, to hold the cake in place so it doesn't shift when frosting the cake.  Next, I tear sheets of waxed paper, line the outside rim of the cake plate, overlapping the waxed paper to cover the rim, so when frosting the bottom layer it doesn't get all over the plate.
Put the first layer down on top of  the dollop of frosting and press lightly on the cake so it sticks to the frosting.  Frost the top and down around the sides of the cake, covering completely.  Next, put the top layer on.  Frost the top, smoothing the frosting out, then go down the sides to cover completely.  Pull out the waxed paper sheets and you are done, the plate is clean and neat and your cake is ready for celebrating!


0 comments:

Post a Comment