Thursday, February 13, 2014

Squash The Spaghetti

Trying to find new ways of eating and lowering the carb intake is a challenge.  I love carbs, bread especially, I can't live without the bread!  We have it with every meal.  So when pasta night rolled around, I wanted my bread, but what was I going to do about all the pasta?  A serving of pasta is a cup.  Really, who eats a cup of pasta?  So, I found this spaghetti squash at the farmer's market, never ate it before.  I'm Italian remember, we eat the real stuff and nothing less.  I thought I would give it a try (non dire la famiglia!).  I see it being used on cooking shows, the food section of the newspaper and the Internet.  When you roast it in the oven, then scrape it out when it's done, it looks like spaghetti.  I roasted mine in the oven cut side down with baby eggplants, then tossed the 'spaghetti' and eggplant with my homemade sauce and veggie meatballs.  It was awesome! I will be making that again.   Spaghetti squash isn't heavy like pasta, and I didn't feel like I needed a nap after eating it.  Low carb, low fat, fat free or sugar free, there are a lot of new and exciting food choices out there just waiting for you to try.  Check them out, you won't be sorry you did.

This is what the squash looks like when you buy it.  I cut up the baby eggplants, they are the size of kiwi fruit, and tossed them with a teaspoon of olive oil and salt and pepper.
 Cut the squash in half lengthwise, leave the skin on, scoop out the seeds, and place it cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet, roast for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.


0 comments:

Post a Comment