Saturday, February 15, 2014

Grab The Butter and Jam - Homemade Wheat Bread

For the love of bread!  And I do love bread, I actually think I could live on it.  Since my son is on this crazy vegetarian way of eating, he is making all kinds of homemade things, granola, granola bars, vegetarian wraps, raw sweet potato snack bars, you get the picture.  He has been hounding me to make homemade wheat bread.  I said to him,"you work in an Italian bakery, bread doesn't get any better than that!".  And,  he's still nagging me to make the wheat bread.  So, I go and dig out the bread machine, dust it off, and make it from scratch.  It was wonderful, for a few hours the house smelled great! I couldn't wait to cut it, but I knew I had to control myself, you know the carbs are not good for me.  Recipe below.

My ingredients all lined up and ready for the bucket.
 add all to the bucket, push a button, and something fantastic happens, BREAD! It's like a magic box.
 After a little over three hours it's all done and ready to be sliced.
 Sliced it up and ready for sandwiches, toast or just to eat with some butter.  The texture is soft and it has a crispy crust.  Homemade bread is the best, and it was effortless to make.

Homemade Wheat Bread

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup of warm milk, I used skim
1/2 cup of water 70 - 80 degrees
1 egg
3 tablespoons of clover honey
2 tablespoons of butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt
2 cups of King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
1 cup of Whole Wheat Flour, I used Bob's Red Mill Organic Stone Ground
1 Package of Fleishmann's Active Rapid Rise Dry Yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)

DIRECTIONS
In the bucket of the bread machine, place the milk, water, egg, honey and butter.  In a large bowl whisk together the salt, bread flour and wheat flour, then pour into the bucket.  Make a well in the flour and add the yeast in the middle of the well.  Select settings on your machine, choose your crust color and loaf size (1 1/2 lb loaf).  Turn the machine on and let it do the work.  Yields 1 loaf.




0 comments:

Post a Comment